Digital Desk, Visakhapatnam. At least 70 girl students of Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya (KGBV) in Andhra Pradesh’s Visakhapatnam district fell ill due to food poisoning after eating stale food at the school. The incident took place in Paderu late on Monday night. The girl students were taken to a government hospital and most of them were discharged on Tuesday. The girl students complained that the rice and sambar served in the dinner were stale. After a few minutes of eating at night, the girl students started vomiting and abdominal pain. Two of them fainted.
The school administration immediately took the girl students to the hospital. According to doctors, 40 girl students were very ill on Monday night but their condition improved later when doctors provided them with necessary treatment including intravenous fluids. Concerned parents rushed to the hospital and slammed the school authorities as the news of the girl’s ill health spread. There are 200 girl students in the school and 100 of them ate dinner in the first round. Seeing many girl students falling ill, others did not eat food.
The Education Department has ordered an inquiry into the incident. The officials visited the school and sent food and water samples to the laboratory for testing. Some girl students complained that despite their complaints about the poor quality of food, the authorities did not take any action. He also complained that the water tank had not been cleaned for several days.